Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Snivel: The Fifth Circle of Heck by Dale E Basye

Don't be crying, whining or sniveling; you'll end up in Heck!

Random House Books for Kids sent me a copy of this book for review (thank you).  It will be published in hardcover on May 22nd.  Make yourself a note to pick up a copy.

This is the 5th in this series and the first I have read.  Based on this book, I'd suggest getting the others in the series to read first.  You can read this alone, but I know I missed some references in the story because I didn't know what they meant.  (If you can't afford them, check with your library.)

Mr. Basye grabs you by the hand and hauls you into the Fifth Circle of Heck.  (It's pretty darn close to Hell, it seems to me.)  Marlo and Milton get separated; the goal at this level is to survive a LIVE video game; and Milton keeps losing his ferret.

Heck is not a nice to be.  It's really depressing, you're tired all the time, and the other game players are trying to kill you!  Milton is having a "heck" of a time trying to keep his team alive.

In the meantime, Marlo has been taken to where all the missing children are held and is made into a ghost who can travel to the surface and see her boyfriend and even her family.

Will they ever get back together again?  Is there any hope of getting out of Heck?  You'll  have to read the book to see.  It's full of action, weird stuff, and other interesting premises.  This author had fun with this book!  Your young ones will be engrossed with this series.  Why not get a copy and share it with them?

If you'd like my ARC, leave a comment here on the blog and email me your name and address for mailing as well as a comment on why you'd like to have the book.  I'll pick a winner in about a week.

Happy reading.

3 comments:

ChristyJan said...

This sounds like not only a neat book, but a great series.
With summer vacation rapidly approaching, and grandchildren coming to spend time at Grandma’s house, it would be fun to pick up the first 4 books in this series also, and read together in the shade with cookies and root beer floats.

Amy the Book Wench said...

I adore this series, and I'm terribly jealous you have an ARC of Snivel. If you haven't gotten 1-4 already, I'd suggest you do.

And yes, I would like the ARC. =)

ductapelosergirl said...

The Heck series is amazing. I always devour each book right away and am left waiting for what feels like forever for the next one. It’s impossible to not get pulled into the story of Milton and Marlo and even harder to put a Heck book down once you start reading. Dale E. Basye is an excellent writer and I can't believe he's not more popular! Despite being twice the age of the intended reader I enjoy these books immensely! So check this series out!

Nonna Marie and the Case of the Lost Treasure by Lorenzo Carcaterra

As Nonna Maria's longtime friend and sometimes colleague, Captain Murino of the Ischian caribineri never wanted to see harm brought to t...