Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Thirteen Treasures by Michelle Harrison


Tanya can see fairies. Her mother can't and thinks she is just acting out.

This book is published by Little Brown Books for Children (who provided me this ARC for review) and came out in April in hardcover.

The fairies in this story are not kind. They do nasty things to Tanya. She tries to stay out of their way, but they are always picking on her. Especially when she tries to sleep. And then when her mother comes in her room, she thinks Tanya has done all the damage.

Finally Mom has had enough and takes her to live with her grandmother. Her grandmother is very distant and doesn't have much contact with Tanya. The groundskeeper's son is willing to be friends, so she does have some companionship. But this house holds a secret. A big secret. And the woods aren't safe...

The author does a good job of showing you Tanya's frustrations and fears. The story moves along at a good pace and you can feel the secrets hanging in the air. The ending was a surprise to me.

This would be a good book for a young adult who likes fantasy or paranormal books.

If you would like my ARC of this book, follow the steps below:

1) Leave a comment here on the blog.

2) Send me an email at info @ bookfaerie.com (take the spaces out) and give me your name and address and tell me why you'd like to read it.

2 comments:

Kris said...

Sounds like a great book. I love fantasy type books.

Violet said...

wow...love the cover. I love YA and love fantasy, so this definitely sounds like something I would enjoy

Nonna Marie and the Case of the Lost Treasure by Lorenzo Carcaterra

As Nonna Maria's longtime friend and sometimes colleague, Captain Murino of the Ischian caribineri never wanted to see harm brought to t...