Sunday, August 29, 2010

Here We Go 'Round the Mulberry Bush by Iza Trapani


I have fond memories of playing this game in grade school and wanted to take a trip down memory lane.

Charlesbridge sent me the copy I reviewed (thank you!) and Ms. Trapani's artwork makes the tale great for reading aloud. She does a very nice job of re-telling this old rhyme and letting a new generation of children laugh at the animals who keep stealing the garden goodies.

I've still never seen a mulberry bush, but I now have a mulberry tree in my yard. Even if you live in a mulberry free area, there are enough other crops that your child will be able to relate to growing a garden. And they'll learn about garden predators, too.

This is good, old-fashioned fun, and the children will enjoy watching the woman gardener trying to keep the animals from her crops.

I'd recommend this for ages 4-8. This old song would be great read aloud to a group of children. They could even act out the animals sneaking into the garden. Share this book and your imagination with them.

This book is currently available at your local bookstore. Check it out!

No comments:

Nonna Marie and the Case of the Lost Treasure by Lorenzo Carcaterra

As Nonna Maria's longtime friend and sometimes colleague, Captain Murino of the Ischian caribineri never wanted to see harm brought to t...