Friday, August 20, 2010

The Desert Alphabet Book by Jerry Pallotta


I find most children's alphabet books boring - this one sure isn't!

Charlesbridge provided me with a copy of this book for review. I had not "tasted" this author before, but I will keep my eyes out for his other educational children's books.

Mark Astrella is the illustrator and his illustrations are very good at showing depth and distance - you really feel like you're out in the middle of a big desert as you read about these animals.

Since I live in a desert myself, I expected to recognize most of the animals and reptiles featured - wrong! I recognized the Oryx and the Elf Owl on the cover, but there were a great many animals I had never seen before.

Mr. Pallotta gives you lots of interesting facts about the desert and the residents there. He also inserts lots of fun like a bit of poetry and the question asking if you see who might be a danger to the Palmate Geckos. He MAKES you look and learn, but it's not at all like a school lesson. It's fun!

I highly recommend this book to anyone who has a child who has an interest in nature. And if yours doesn't, maybe this book would open their eyes to things you can see if you really look...

No comments:

Nonna Marie and the Case of the Lost Treasure by Lorenzo Carcaterra

As Nonna Maria's longtime friend and sometimes colleague, Captain Murino of the Ischian caribineri never wanted to see harm brought to t...