Sunday, July 5, 2015

The Curious World of Calpurnia Tate by Jacqueline Kelly

Calpurnia Tate (Callie Vee) is the scientific type.  She studies botany, biology, and more with her grandfather.  She has dreams of becoming a veterinarian.  And she comes from a big family.  There's not much hope for enough money to go to school for two years for her.  But she's saving her money...

Macmillan Publishing Group and Net Galley allowed me to read this book for review (thank you).  It will be on sale on July 7th, so you can pick up a copy in a couple of days.

I've always been curious myself, so I can relate to Callie Vee in that area.  However, she likes to dissect things to see how they function and I draw the line at that.  We had to do a frog in my biology class and I threw up.  If she's going to be a vet, then she'll have to do such things.  That's why I found another calling in life.

When her little brother adopts a half dog, half coyote pup she knows it's going to cause trouble.  But he's too tenderhearted to let any animal hurt.  So they hide him in a cave and the boy feeds him each day to keep him out of the chickens.  You know it's all going to come to a head before the story is over.

I liked Callie Vee's persistence in her belief she could do anything she wanted to do.  I also liked her relationship with her grandfather, who often took her side when no one else would.  She even gets to work as a the veterinarian's assistant.  But her future isn't clear yet.

Fentress, Texas, will never be the same after Callie Vee grows up there.  And that's a good thing.

No comments:

Nonna Marie and the Case of the Lost Treasure by Lorenzo Carcaterra

As Nonna Maria's longtime friend and sometimes colleague, Captain Murino of the Ischian caribineri never wanted to see harm brought to t...