Sunday, July 5, 2015

Maya's Blanket: La manta de Maya by Monica Brown, Ph.D., David Diaz (Illustrated by)

Maya's grandmother made her a pretty blanket with butterflies all over it.  She loves it!

Children's Book Press and Edelweiss gave me the opportunity to read this book for review (thank you).  It will be published on August 15th, so watch for it then.

This is a bilingual book.  It's done in English and Spanish.  Even in English you will have a few words to learn.  The tale is sweet.  When her blanket gets tattered, she and her grandmother look for ways to reuse it.  They start with a dress and it goes on from there.

I've got my first blanket I remember.  It's a leopard print blanket and I took it with me when I married.  It's pretty worn but I still love it.  I have it in my hope chest. My grandmother used to recycle her girl's clothing by making quilts out of them.  If they were too worn to be passed on to someone else, they became quilt squares.  You might not want to do a whole quilt, but pretty wall hangings are nice, too.  

Maya and her grandmother keep converting her blanket into smaller and small clothing or accessory items.  When Maya loses the last piece, she writes a book about it and this is her story.  Mr. Diaz does a wonderful job on the illustrations.  You'll want to read this one.

No comments:

Nonna Marie and the Case of the Lost Treasure by Lorenzo Carcaterra

As Nonna Maria's longtime friend and sometimes colleague, Captain Murino of the Ischian caribineri never wanted to see harm brought to t...