Friday, July 17, 2015

Tales: Short Stories Featuring Ian Rutledge and Bess Crawford by Charles Todd

Here are four unique stories by an author whose work I admire:  "The Kidnapping," "The Girl on the Beach," "Cold Comfort," and "The Maharani's Pearls."  Two are Ian Rutledge stories and two are Bess Crawford stories.  I hadn't read about Bess before, but I have already requested her next book so I can immerse myself in her life.  She's a nurse.

Witness Impulse and Edelweiss gave me the opportunity to read this book for review (thank you).  It will be published in a few days, so you'll be able to order it soon.

Ian is a young cop in one story and a young soldier in the other.  In both cases, he ferrets out what is really going on.  He's a smart man.

Bess is young girl in one story and a nurse in the second one.  She is instrumental in keeping the Maharani alive and figures out what has happened to the dead girl on the beach.  I'm very fond of police procedurals so these were right up my alley.

The stories are short and read up quick.  They are concise and give you all the detail you need to truly enjoy them.  The writing style flows well.

Ian Rutledge feels like an old friend to me.  I couldn't wait to read more about him and these stories cover his youth.  He was still someone to contend with then.  I was also happy to meet Bess Crawford.  These stories are written by a mother and her son and I really like how they write.  It feels British, it's mostly serious, and the humor can be a bit dry.  Mine often is, too.  This team writes for me, do you think they might write for you, too?

No comments:

Nonna Marie and the Case of the Lost Treasure by Lorenzo Carcaterra

As Nonna Maria's longtime friend and sometimes colleague, Captain Murino of the Ischian caribineri never wanted to see harm brought to t...