Tuesday, July 28, 2015

In the Drink by Allyson K. Abbott

Mack is back.  Donovan almost got fired for using her talents to help him solve a murder case, so she's not seeing as much of him as she might like.  He's busy at work, they have to maintain a low profile, and he can't be seen working with her.  That makes it difficult to have a relationship.

Kensington Books and Net Galley allowed me to read this book for review (thank you).  It is being published today, so you'll be able to find a copy at your local bookstore now.

I've liked the earlier books in this series and was glad to find there was a new one out.  Mack ends up working two cases:  one for Tiny whose sister was killed years ago and one of her own.  Seems that someone has taken issue with her special senses and is threatening her.  If she doesn't solve the riddles she's given, then someone she knows and is close to will die.  She knows it's true when she reads the letter and then realizes the dead body just discovered was one of her customers.

The mysteries are good, the dead girl's murderer was a twist, another employee of hers is killed and I was reading along quite contented until I got to the end of this book.  There is no ending; you'll have to read this one to get the solution.  I hate that.  Tell me it's a two-part mystery, don't leave me hanging.

As it is, now Mack is attracted to two different cops and I'm afraid one of them might be the next victim for her killer.  But I won't know until next year.  How fair is that?  Some people thrive on this sort of cliff hanging ending but I'm not one of them.  I'm also not sure if I want to read the next book.  I'm almost afraid of what the author will do with Mack and her boyfriends.

I can say this, though.  Ms. Abbott got my attention and kept it.

No comments:

Nonna Marie and the Case of the Lost Treasure by Lorenzo Carcaterra

As Nonna Maria's longtime friend and sometimes colleague, Captain Murino of the Ischian caribineri never wanted to see harm brought to t...