Friday, November 26, 2010

Darkness Becomes Her by Kelly Keaton

In today's novels for young adults, it's not unusual to run across vampires and warlocks.  But gods?

Simon Pulse provided me with an eGalley of this book for review (thank you).  It will be published in hardcover in February.

I found this read very entertaining, in a horrific kind of way.  The main portion of the story is set in New Orleans, a city I love, and that's a city of legend in the real world.  It was very easy for me to believe that other worldly beings live there.  After all, they have voodoo, don't they?

All Ari wants to know is know who her mother was and why she gave her up for adoption.  What she finds out is that women in her family all die or kill themselves right around age 21.  Her mother isn't alive, she also died at that age - by suicide.  Since Ari is 17, she needs to find out why.

Trying to dig deeper into the story of her family, she goes to New Orleans to find more answers.  What she finds is more danger than she can handle alone.

When a complete stranger saves her, she finds herself attracted to him.  But she knows there's something different about him and can't figure out what it is.  She soon discovers there's more to her than she realized also...

Ms. Keaton keeps the action going, introduces many interesting characters and will keep young adults glued to this story to see how it turns out.  I highly recommend this story.  I wasn't sure if I would like it, and I love it.  Give a try and see what you think.

Also, it ended in a manner that leads me to believe there will be a sequel.  And I'm looking forward to seeing where she takes the tale next.

No comments:

The Case of the Gilded Lies by Earl Staley Gardner

The ingredients were quite one middle-aged tycoon with a lovely young wife; one oh-so-apologetic visitor to the tycoon's office; one dev...