Tuesday, December 11, 2012

The Heroes of Olympus: The Demigod Diaries by Rick Riordan (Audio Book)

Rick Riordan writes exciting adventure stories filled with mythology, monsters, and young demigods.  Demigods are half human and half god.  They have powers, but most don't really know for sure what they do or how strong they are.  They've learned not to ask their parents for help because the gods don't really like these half-breed offspring.  And someone or something is always trying to kill them.  Otherwise, life is simple...

Random House Audio asked me if I'd like to review this book (thank you).  It had been a long time since I'd listened to an audio book but I thought I'd give it a shot.  I'm glad I did!  It's available now and you can get a copy at Audible.com or at Listening Library.  I listened to the CD version.

This is an unabridged CD and is read by a nice meld of voices.  Each reader acts many parts and uses a variety of accents to add depth to the story line.  The stories themselves have unique characters, odd powers, and interesting worlds to explore.

I have two favorite things about this collection of stories.  First off, one story has snakes.  George and Martha speak with a hiss.  Hearing them have conversations made me smile and I loved hearing the "sssss" at the end of their words.  They're my favorite characters.  Sorry, the snakes stole the show.

The second pleasant discovery I made was that the last story was actually written by Riordan's son.  The stories began as bedtime tales for his son.  At this point, his son is 16 and he's writing his own stories.  And, I hate to say it, but I liked your son's story best, Rick.  You can tell he's a chip off the block...

Why not find a comfortable chair, get a cup of tea, coffee or hot chocolate and a couple cookies and settle in for a good "listen"?  I finished crocheting a scarf while listening to this book myself.

Happy listening!    

No comments:

Drag and Rex Forever Friends by Susan Lubner

Meet Drag and Rex, the sweet, silly best friends who find joy and adventure in the simplest places in this charming and cheery modern Frog a...