Saturday, December 22, 2012

Annie and Helen by Deborah Hopkinson

I find Helen Keller a very interesting person.  She was isolated in a world where she couldn't communicate her wants and needs and was very frustrated.  Then Helen came to be her teacher.  It wasn't easy trying to teach a spoiled child who didn't want to be taught.

Schwartz & Wade sent me a copy of this book for review (thank you).  It has been published so you can find a copy at your local bookstore.

This picture book is written for young readers.  The story of Helen learning to understand language is interesting and intriguing.  Trying to find an entrance to the learning cave of Helen's mind was a real challenge for Annie.  

When I was young, I was amazed to think about not being able read like I do.  I've been addicted to books for years and I couldn't imagine not having that avenue open to learning and enjoying of books. 

The back of the dust jacket has the Braille alphabet on it.  It looks odd to me, but I'm sure to someone who learned to read that way it was just like words.

Why not enter the world of the blind and see how Helen finally made words into language.  Her life was much brighter then.

Happy reading.  

No comments:

Drag and Rex Forever Friends by Susan Lubner

Meet Drag and Rex, the sweet, silly best friends who find joy and adventure in the simplest places in this charming and cheery modern Frog a...