Thursday, June 4, 2015

Providence Noir edited by Ann Hood

Here we have another nice noir anthology from Akashic Books.  There are several short stories here and I liked this set because it's a bit different from the norm.  These books are very definitely set in the here and now and they make you wonder if something like that could happen to you...

Akashic Books sent me an ARC of this book for review (thank you).  It has just been published, so check with your local bookstore to get a copy.

The book is sorted into three sections:  Down City, What Cheer, and God's Merciful Providence.  Quite a few stories in this group surprised me.  I've read so much over the years that I'm always pleasantly surprised when an author shocks me with an ending.

I found two in this group that really touched me.  One in a good way, the other in a bad way.  I really liked Under the Shepard Clock by Ann Hood.  She did the exact opposite thing that I expected her to do.  I also liked Missing Siri by Marie Myung-Ok Lee even if the ending made me cry.  There were nice unique touches in each story.  

You get Alzheimer's, lesbians, Mafia and more as you read along.  This is a very good collection of stories that will stay with you after you close the book.  They are stories to think about.

No comments:

Nonna Marie and the Case of the Lost Treasure by Lorenzo Carcaterra

As Nonna Maria's longtime friend and sometimes colleague, Captain Murino of the Ischian caribineri never wanted to see harm brought to t...