Saturday, June 6, 2015

Honey the Dixie Dingo Dog: Champion of the Strays by Allen Paul

The trapper has caught her foot in his trap and all he is interested in is her hide.  His friend tries to convince him that she's a stray dog, not a coyote.  The trapper doesn't care.  He just wants his money from the hide...

New Shelves and Library Thing enabled to read this book for review (thank you).  It will be published June 16th, so you can grab a copy then.  Visit the author's WEBSITE to see more about Honey (includes some photos of her) and to preorder the book.

Mr. Paul is writing this for younger children but it was an interesting read for me, too.  It's based on a true story and gives you information about the breed as well as information on the rescue group for them.  It's a small endeavor that does a lot of good and keeps the American dingo dog alive.

Honey is purchased by the lady rescuer for $50; that's the amount her hide would bring.  She takes her to the vet to get her leg fixed and then brings her home.  There are lots of dog houses and lots of other dogs, but Honey gets to come in the house and sleep by stove while she heals.

I can relate how the lady and her trainers talk to the dog, tell her what they're doing and how to do what they want as well as encourage her at her work.  I've always talked to my animals.  They always know what I'm saying, too.  All you have to do be consistent and pay attention to your tone.

I offer one note of warning, though.  The trapper is ruthless and kills animals until he ends up in jail.  Since this is based on a true story it belongs in the story but it may bother young ones who love animals.  I would read the book together with them so you could discuss it as you go. The majority of the story is upbeat and it ends well.

I enjoyed reading about the Carolina or Dixie Dingo Dogs breed.  I'd always wondered where they came from.  I also enjoyed the photos on his website.  Check it out and tell me if you've ever seen one of that breed.  I had on TV but reading Honey's story was like being there with her.  That was fun! 

No comments:

Nonna Marie and the Case of the Lost Treasure by Lorenzo Carcaterra

As Nonna Maria's longtime friend and sometimes colleague, Captain Murino of the Ischian caribineri never wanted to see harm brought to t...