Wednesday, April 23, 2014

The Garden Plot by Marty Wingate

Pru has left Texas and her job and gone to her "roots"; she's living in London and has a year long lease on a house.  Her plan is to find the perfect job and stay in London.  Her job search isn't going that well, though.  And then she finds a murdered man!

Alibi and Net Galley let me read this story for review (thank you).  It will be published May 6th.  If you like cozy mysteries, you won't want to miss the start of this new series.

Another thing Pru left behind was her old "sort of" boyfriend.  She doesn't miss the job or the fella but her goal is to get a permanent job so she can afford to live in London.  She keeps getting rejection letters and her spirits are down.  When she takes on a local job and there is a buried mosaic inside the shed, she's interested in the history behind it.  So are a lot of other people.  Some of them want it for personal gain.

The only good part about being involved in the murder is that she meets the police inspector.  He's attractive and single.  He's also always lecturing her about her questions meddling in his case.  He keeps telling her it's dangerous for her to be involved.  She's so sure who isn't the killer, she doesn't pay attention to who might be.  That's a very bad move on her part.

The gardening knowledge shared is interesting and accurate, the plot holds your attention, and a romance develops between Pru and Christopher, the police inspector.  Every chance they have to go on a date, something comes up and they have to cancel.  Pru decides she'll have to go back to the states since her lease is running out and she has no regular job.

One of my fun things in this read was Pru learning the English's nicknames vs American nicknames.  Also, I loved how the author ended this story.  It was a last minute happy ever after and it made such an impression on me I have pre-ordered this ebook as the very first ebook to be a "keeper" on my hand-me-down Kindle.  I'll reread this story and take a bit more time to savor it later.

The best part is that Pru will be back again.  You can watch for more from Ms. Wingate.

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

Sounds cute. I love cozy mysteries. The cover is cute as well.

THANKS for sharing.

Stopping by from Carole's Books You Loved May Edition. I am in the list as #46 and 47.

My book entries are below. There are three giveaways on my blog as well - two until May 8 and one until May 18.

Elizabeth
Silver's Reviews

My Book Entry

My Book Entry

Bizard and the Big Bunny Bizness by Chrissie Krebs

When Bizard the Bear Wizard’s friends decide to try to help him grant wishes, it turns out that two magic wands are so much worse than one. ...