Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Cemetery Dance - Douglas Preston & Lincoln Child

Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child have never written a book that bored me. This one is also full of action and with a hint of horror to add to the mix.

The adventure starts when an apartment neighbor attacks a man in his own apartment and kills him. They have video showing the killer, and the wife identifies him. But he died two weeks previously - how could he be the killer?

During the autopsy, they also find some strange markings and an odd thing in his mouth - which point to voodoo...

This leads to the thought that the killer could be a Zombie. The police detective is scornful, and continues to look for clues to a human killer, but then another murder happens. And it's the first victim who has returned and murders in front of a crowd that recognizes him.

They stumble upon a secret reclusive cult of Obeah and voodoo that no one would have imagined existed in Manhattan. They know they do animal sacrifices, but do they create Zombies? Intruders are not welcome, and they are not answering any questions.

Action picks up when the surviving wife gets kidnapped right out from under police protection and a video shows her in captivity and promises her death. Both police and FBI want to stop that, but how? They can't access the compound. They're not sure she's being held there anyway.

How all this ties together is fascinating. Nothing is what it seems to be.

It's a good mystery and has some horror for you, too.

If you'd like my ARC of this book, please leave a comment here on the blog, and then email me at info@bookfaerie.com with your name and address and tell me why you'd like to read it. I'll pick a winner in about a week.

5 comments:

Ray & Carla Ives said...

This sounds like an exciting one, Jo Ann! I love mysteries and this one has the voodoo angle going, to make it just a little "strange." I like strange. LOL

Anonymous said...

I have enjoyed reading all of the books, by this author(s).

This one sounds very exciting - enough to get the old blood pumping, which is why I don't read mysteries, just before I go to bed!

As usual, your review gave me a hint of what the book is about, and I've already put it, on my "get" book list!

Thanks!
Donna

The Reader said...

Hi Jo-ann

I'm a longtime fan of DPLC & would love to read it. Btw thank you for not giving out the names of the characters involved as I have heard that there are various amounts of plot twists in this book.

Mihir

gautami tripathy said...

The title makes me want to read it as soon a possible. Do count me in!

KR said...

Action and horror...sounds great to me!

mj.coward[at]gmail.com

Nonna Marie and the Case of the Lost Treasure by Lorenzo Carcaterra

As Nonna Maria's longtime friend and sometimes colleague, Captain Murino of the Ischian caribineri never wanted to see harm brought to t...