Friday, December 2, 2011

Dark Future by K C Klein

What's your worst nightmare?  I bet if you'd envisioned the future shown in this book, it might fit the bill.

This author allowed me to download a copy of her book for review.  It sounded interesting, and I read it last night.  It was a very good read.  You can snag a copy now on Amazon.  HarperCollins is the publisher.

She was fast asleep when she suddenly awoke, knowing she had heard a sound.  She went on full alert and got ready to defend herself from whomever had broken in her home.  She gets the surprise of her life when she looks into the face of her intruder and it mirrors her own.

She's told the double is her future self and she must go into the future and save ConRad from dying.  He must live, he's the head of the survival group and he's her love.  Kris thinks she's insane.  After all, insanity does run in her family.

As she falls into the future, more by accident than desire, her first encounter is with an alien.  Her other self had neglected to mention them...

This is a world where everyone is hiding, trying to stay alive.  When she finally meets ConRad, she's suspected of being an alien spy.  Especially since she has no knowledge of the world she's occupying now.  If he gave me the same "human test" as he gave her, I certainly would have taken exception to it just as she did.

There are no women to speak of on the base.  Everyone is on survival mode and anyone who breaks the rules normally pays with their life.  This is a mean world where only the tough survive.  And Kris isn't tough.  At least not yet.

The story is fast paced, the action is quick and deadly, and Kris' way is not clear.  I read this book from beginning to end in one night because I had to know how it ended.  Good or bad, I had to know.

Why not grab a copy for yourself and see if it entangles you like it did me?

Happy reading.

2 comments:

Amy Valentini said...

Jo Ann, that's the way it was for me when I read DARK FUTURE... I pulled an all-nighter also because I just had to know what happened. By the time I was finished, I was ready for more. It was gritty and dark but fast-paced and action-packed - and sexy - what more can you ask for? : )

Journey of a Bookseller said...

I love a good book!

Drag and Rex Forever Friends by Susan Lubner

Meet Drag and Rex, the sweet, silly best friends who find joy and adventure in the simplest places in this charming and cheery modern Frog a...