Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Have you ever seen a yucca walking stick?


The center core of the cactus grows several feet tall and has a blossom at the top. The core itself is almost like wood, and works great as a walking stick.

I saw one at the Farmer's Market here in downtown, with feathers and some colorful paint on it at the top, but didn't have the money at the time. Now I want to purchase one and can't find one I like!

I don't want them woodburned, or with inset gems. I just want a plain stick with some leather, a few feathers, maybe some beads and a little bright paint to make it an attractive partner. (Don't go thinking of opposite sex partners - although some would look better with these additions...)

I've searched on the net, but I'm not being successful at finding what I want.

I could just buy the stick and decorate it, but that's no fun - I like having memories of where I got that special item.

So, right now, unless one falls out of the heavens in front me, I'm going to try to find one when we visit Capitan next month. They have a lot of local artists, and maybe one of them plays with the yucca walking sticks. I can hope!

6 comments:

Nancy said...

Yucca are not cactus. They are of the Agave family. Cacti are a whole differnt animal.

Journey of a Bookseller said...

Thanks, Nancy. Looking up Agave, I see there all kinds of varieties. What they call a Yucca down here is just one of many!

Unknown said...

Hello, I am Bob harris and live in CA. Going up to Lake Isabella from the east side. There is a field of yucca about 1-2 miles wide and about 4 to 6 miles long.
Millions of adult plants. The stocks are 4ft to 8ft long. Semi hollow. I made a patio wall with them, covered drinking glasses 2/3 high, patio lights, place mats, etc. Yucca is strong and very, very light weight! Walking sticks and canes are the simplest to make and fun. You need no experience or any special tools. Just time....1-2 hours!
small hand saw $10, sand paper, clear spray finish, rubber cane tip $2-$3, handle-make your own our buy for $5-$30.

Journey of a Bookseller said...

I'd love to see a photo of your patio wall - it sounds very pretty!

I'm looking for a decorated walking stick, probably about 48" tall. Don't need a handle.

I'll find one someday. The ones I saw up in the art shop in Capitan were about $150, and I'm not paying that much for something I know they get free and decorate...

The Mad Plumbarian said...

I know it's been a while but have you found a walking stick? Cause I'm on the look out for one.

Journey of a Bookseller said...

I haven't purchased one of these yet, no. Still have an eye out for one.

Drag and Rex Forever Friends by Susan Lubner

Meet Drag and Rex, the sweet, silly best friends who find joy and adventure in the simplest places in this charming and cheery modern Frog a...