Sunday, April 17, 2016

A Morning with Grandpa by Sylvia Liu, Christina Forshay (Illustrated by)

She's weeding in the garden when Grandpa comes out in the yard and begins doing tai chi.  She watches him until he invites her to try it.

Lee & Low Books and Edelweiss gave me the opportunity to read this book for review (thank you).  It will be published May 15th.

She can make the movements her Grandpa does but she does it too exuberantly.  She runs, jumps, dances and wiggles so much that she's not quite doing them.  But she has fun!

Then she decides to show Grandpa some yoga moves she's learned in school.  He's a good sport and attempts the yoga but his bones aren't as flexible as his granddaughter's.  However, he has fun!

I spent many days of my childhood with my grandparents.  Sundays after church, I'd go home with my father's parents and we'd make breakfast for the family.  I stayed with my mom's mother and father when he was working and they needed someone to ensure that Grandma didn't take too many heart pills.  I remember those times as special and magical.  I learned a lot from them.  This little girl is learning from her Grandpa, too.

This is a sweet story with colorful illustrations that children will enjoy.  They might even try tai chi and yoga!

No comments:

The Case of the Gilded Lies by Earl Staley Gardner

The ingredients were quite one middle-aged tycoon with a lovely young wife; one oh-so-apologetic visitor to the tycoon's office; one dev...