Monday, June 17, 2013

Tristis Manor by J. R. Wagner

This is a dark tale filled with despair until the end.  There is no sweetness and light in this story; it's mean all the way through.  If that hasn't scared you off, go ahead and read it.  I bet you won't forget it.

Solomon Caw Publishing and Net Galley allowed me to download and read an ebook of this story for review (thank you).  It was published in March, so you can get a copy of the ebook now from any vendor who offers them.

Margaret's father travels for his work and is gone months at a time.  Her mother is abusive and angry all the time.  Margaret has even been abused by her mother's male friend.  Her only solace is to cause herself enough pain that she can forget the horror...

Her father is a loving man and he can tell that something is wrong, but he will be going away again.  She can't tell him; it's bad enough when he's gone now and it would get worse.  She's right.  When it all comes to a head, it's a horrific ending.

This is part of the Never Chronicles.  There will be a sequel to this story I'm sure; the ending gives you a suggestion why.  I found this tale almost too dark for me.  I was waiting for redemption and love to save Margaret but that was false hope.  She does have a chance for a new beginning and I guess I'll have to be happy with that.

If you're someone who can read anything and it doesn't bother you, I still think this book will stick in your memory and make you think about it.  Go ahead, read it, and tell me what you think about it.  I'd be interested in hearing.

Happy reading.

No comments:

Bizard and the Big Bunny Bizness by Chrissie Krebs

When Bizard the Bear Wizard’s friends decide to try to help him grant wishes, it turns out that two magic wands are so much worse than one. ...