Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Burrows by Reavis Z Wortham

Ned has retired as constable but that doesn't mean people have stopped calling him when there's trouble.  Now he just calls Cody as he's going out so he can join him.

Poisoned Pen Press and Net Galley allowed me to download an ebook of this story for review (thank you).  This book will be published July 3rd, so look for a copy next week at your local bookstore.

This is second book in the Red River Mystery series.  This story gave me chills.  It has two my worst fears in it and Cody, the new constable has to deal with them.  He's had military experience with caves and booby traps, but this challenge is even worse because the killer is insane.

Set in a small back water community where everyone knows everyone and kin is tight, a mad killer can hide.  Kin won't give up kin.  On the other hand, the killer was living in town right in plain sight because he has the perfect disguise.

The chilling part of the story for me was when Cody had to crawl through tunnels in a hoarder's warehouse building to get to the killer.  It's dark, there are traps, animals and other dangers on the way.  It's good thing he had company or he'd never have come out of there alive.

As he crawls through the stuff of my nightmares and meets other fears of mine, the story really made me shiver.  It won't do that to everyone because my fears are my own, but I think you'll still be able to relate to the situation and the danger Cody and John face.

There is also a very unusual twist at the end that I didn't see coming.  This is not a boring story.  It's well worth a read.  And I'm looking forward to another installment in this series.  These characters aren't through telling their stories yet.

Happy reading.

No comments:

Black Magic Kitten by Sara Bourgeois

Kinsley Skeenbauer never thought she would go home. At seventeen, she’d left Coventry and didn’t look back. But after a messy divorce, she p...