Friday, December 31, 2010

The Inheritance Almanac by Michael Macauley

Do you like dragons?  Then you will like the Inheritance series!

Alfred A Knopf Books for Young Readers sent me a copy of this hardcover that is now on sale at your local bookstore (thank you).  The book was edited by Mark Cotta Vaz. 

This book is considered the ultimate fan guide and was written by the webmaster of the #1 Inheritance fan site, http://www.shurtagal.com/ .  It's "An A-to-Z Guide to the World of Eragon."

I found it an interesting compilation of little known facts.  Mr. Macauley includes information that is not common knowledge about how the stories developed and about the imaginary world Mr. Paolini created.  I mean, can you imagine that in the first draft of Book One, Eragon was named Kevin?  Kevin???  Sure glad he changed that!

I enjoyed the first two books in this series so much that I have saved the third to read as a treat.  I know it's there, I want to read it, but I want to wait until I have time to read it without interruptions and with full attention.  They're that good.

That's why I think this book can be a really good resource for anyone who's enjoyed reading the Inheritance series.  You can revisit the lands and creatures you met in the books and get more background information about them.  Then it'd be fun to reread the series.

In my day, it was Lord of the Rings series.  I'm sure the Inheritance fans are just as rabid as I was as a teen about Middle Earth and hobbits and wizards and a dragon, etc.  This would be a lovely gift to someone who is a fan.

Check it out at your local bookstore and pick up a copy for the dragon lover in your life.

Happy reading!

No comments:

Lioness of Punuab by Anita Jari Kharbanda

“We will fight here,” I commanded the warriors. “We are strong. We will have no fear. As Sikh warriors, we are ready to fight for justice. V...