Friday, April 24, 2009

An Honorable German - Charles McCain

The title on this one intrigued me. It's not that I don't think German's are honorable, it's that it is set during World War II, and this German becomes a U-Boat commander. That was an ugly war on all sides and Hitler only rewarded those who followed his ideas of honor.

Max is young when the war starts, and he is fighting for his country and plans to marry his girl down the road. Things change as the war continues and he suffers injuries to his body and his psych.

As Hitler's officers get more strident, he begins to fear he won't live through the war, he has to send his girlfriend to Mexico to keep her safe, and he begins to weigh what's more important - his orders or the moral responsibility of keeping non-combatant women and children from drowning.

He knows they are to take no prisoners, offer no help to anyone. But when he targets a ship and it was a passenger ship instead of a freighter, he can't let them die. However saving the passengers puts his boat in danger...

This results in the crew being captured and the U-boat being destroyed. When he's put in a prison camp, his own crew attempts to kill him for not following the rules.

If you want to know if he survives or if he ever gets back to his lady love, you need to read the book. The book is very realistic, so be prepared.

I'm giving away my ARC, so leave a comment here on the blog, and then email me at info@bookfaerie.com with your name, address, and why you'd like to have to the book. I'll pick a winner in about a week.

2 comments:

Rae said...

I avidly follow anything to do with WW2. My Grandpap fought in that war and I like to read everything and anything I can get my hands on about it. This one captures my interest because it sounds like the main character defies Hitler and becomes a hero.

KR said...

I would enjoy this, then pass it to my son - the history major! Even though it's fiction, I think he'd like it too!

Drag and Rex Forever Friends by Susan Lubner

Meet Drag and Rex, the sweet, silly best friends who find joy and adventure in the simplest places in this charming and cheery modern Frog a...