Wednesday, June 29, 2011

State of Wonder by Ann Patchett

As a young woman, Marina was training as a medical doctor.  A blunder during surgery ruined that for her, so she moved into the world of pharmaceuticals.  She never expected to see her medical teacher again... 


HarperCollins sent me an ARC of this book for review (thank you).  It is currently for sale at your local book store and is on the shortlist for The Atlantic’s 1book140 selection for the month of July.


Marina is a complex character.  She's in love with her boss, likes her workmate, and thinks she is satisfied with her career.  But when she finds out her workmate has died in the Amazon forest and her boss sends her to find out what happened, her entire life changes.


Ms. Pachett's description of the Amazon forest adds depth and intensity to the story.  It's very easy to die there, but is that really what happened to Anders?  His wife doesn't think so.


This is the story of a middle aged woman finally recognizing who she is and how she fits in this world.  Her journey is not just to Brazil, it's a journey to the center of her being.


If you'd like my copy of this ARC, leave a comment here on the blog and email me at info at bookfaerie.com with your name AND address and tell me why you'd like to read it.


Happy reading!

2 comments:

Marata said...

hello again... I hope all is well with you in this crazy June. WE had pouring rain but it smelled great. I am interested in this book because a friend of mine went to the amazon rain forest last year with a bunch of women on a spiritual quest and I saw photos from her trip and heard a little about the adventure. She is very brave to do this I think and I think this book sounds like it would be fun to read as a companion to my friends story and adventure. I will pass the book along and tell others of your site. Thanks for your great emails. Tamara Randi,
12678 Francis Dr. Grass Valley,CA 95949

theoncominghope said...

I really enjoyed the novel, but I had a big problem with Marina's character. She was kind of a blank slate at best.

My thoughts are here: http://theoncominghope.blogspot.com/2011/07/state-of-wonder.html

The Affair at the Victory Ball by Agatha Christie

Young Lord Cronshaw is murdered at a masked ball, and his fiancée dies of a cocaine overdose later the same evening. Who was wearing which c...