Tuesday, March 3, 2020

Generally Speaking: a Philatelic Patchwork by Lawrence Block

This book covers a series of talks about stamps.  I would never have guessed that Mr Block would be interested in stamps but he knows a lot about them.  I'm not very interested but even talking about stamps can be interesting if you have a good story teller.

He sent me a copy of this book to read for review (thank you).  You can get a copy of it now.

There is a lot of history tied to stamps.  Wars tended to generate more varieties.  He explains markings, grading, where the stamps came from, and what he was willing to buy but that a more finicky collector might not.  Even if stamps aren't my thing, I did enjoy the history, the stories of where he bought his stamps and hearing of his preferences.

I have to admit that Keller is one of my favorite characters of his and he's included parts of his book where Keller was buying and seeking stamps.  That gave me a break between his nonfiction account.

If you like stamps this should give you a basis to get started.  If you enjoy history, you'll learn about that.  And if you just want a visit with Keller, you can find that, too.  This was an interesting story.  Give it a try. 

No comments:

The Jungle Crew by Emma Scott

Making new friends is a wonderful thing. Should you have a lot in common with your new friend? Do you have to look the same? What happens wh...