Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Wild Children by Richard Roberts

This is an odd little book.  It's filled with fantasy, religion, greed, paranormal activity, and uncertainty...

Curiosity Quills Press and Net Galley allowed me to download this ebook for review (thank you).  It was published on December 12th so you can get a copy at your local bookstore now.

I enjoy reading books that are "different"; meaning off the normal subjects, with fantastic creatures and dimensions, and good strong central characters.  The thought of wild children fascinated me and I was interested to see what this author did with them.  He surprised me.  The story was not at all what I was expecting.

There religious figures in this story say the reason the children have changed into the creatures they are is because they are filled with sin.  No matter that they got that way because they drank a special "beer" that came from the basement in a church.  They would not have become what they were if they were "good".  That's an interesting take on that, isn't it?  Even more interesting is that the men who are persecuting them in the name of religion are even more evil than anyone else in the villages.  

There are different segments in the book, giving certain characters their own voice and their own story.  I enjoyed the stories but felt that the overall story didn't have the continuity I like.  On the other hand, the story itself is built on in-continuity, so it may just be the author's touch in story building.

All in all, if you read this book, I'm sure you won't find another like it.  In all the ones I've read I've found no comparable.  Why not take a walk on the dark side and see if you want to side with the wild children like I did?

Happy reading.   

No comments:

Nonna Marie and the Case of the Lost Treasure by Lorenzo Carcaterra

As Nonna Maria's longtime friend and sometimes colleague, Captain Murino of the Ischian caribineri never wanted to see harm brought to t...