Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Robopocalypse by Daniel H Wilson

Imagine artificial intelligence coming to life and learning it is number fourteen; the thirteen previous experiments have been terminated.  This time the scientist is terminated...


Doubleday published this book earlier this month and sent me an ARC for review (thank you).  The author is robotics engineer and he uses his knowledge to enhance the story with real horror.


Elevators drop to the floor, small home use robots try to kill you, cars run over you in the street, garbage trucks with no drivers pick up the dead, the world has gone insane!


No one is safe.  Those in the city are being picked off.  Those in the country not only have to worry about equipment or robots being after them, but about the other humans they run across.  Then the robots being modifying themselves...


I had to read this one in pieces.  I normally can read right through, but it just got a bit too intense and I wanted time to savor what I had read and understand all the implications of the survivors actions.  This reminds me a bit of Bradbury's "I Robot" story.


This is a scary tale that is a little too believable to me.  As time goes on, such a thing could happen.  Let's hope not, but it could.


The ending has a twist I liked.  It reads fluidly, will definitely keep your interest, and it will make you think after you're done reading it.  What more could you want?  Why not get a copy and see what you think?


Happy reading!

No comments:

Bizard and the Big Bunny Bizness by Chrissie Krebs

When Bizard the Bear Wizard’s friends decide to try to help him grant wishes, it turns out that two magic wands are so much worse than one. ...