Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Tales from High Hallack, Volume 2: the collected short stories of Andre Norton

I've always loved Andre Norton's work.  She had a marvelously rich imagination and she loved cats and added them to her stories.  She could write about anything and make it interesting.  Her sci fi stories are always a pleasure to read.

Premier Digital Publishing and Net Galley allowed me to read this book for review (thank you).  It will be published May 20th, so make a note to grab it then.

High fantasy, fables, science fiction, coming of age stories, and more are included in Norton's work.  Many of these stories came from Witch World.  The stories range from the 1930s forward.  They haven't lost any charm with age and are still a joy to read.

I started reading this one evening and didn't stop until I was done.  Magical worlds grab me, nice flowing words speak to me, and Ms. Norton's tales amuse me.  Her women are strong, her cats are smart and sometimes deadly, and there's hints of romance here and there.  These stories are my "cup of tea" and I'm thankful I had the chance to read her work again.

If you haven't met Andre's writing yet, try this sample of her style and her way of getting her point across.  I bet you'll get hooked, too.

No comments:

Benjamin Impossible by Timothy Root

It’s NOT EASY being the smartest 12-year-old in the world! Benjamin Impossible is a genius, kung fu master, and winner of the Franklin Count...