Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Isa's Flower Garden by Mary Tillworth

This board book is part of Nickelodon's Dora the Explorer series.  A cute little girl and her monkey are going to a tea party in a flower garden.

Random House Kids sent me a copy of this board book for review (thank you).  You can buy a copy at your local bookstore now.

One thing that caught my eye immediately was the sparkles that are used to emphasize creatures or flowers in the story.  It makes the book bright and adds to the rich colors of the illustrations.  Victoria Miller does a nice job with these cartoon characters.

I also liked the mix of Spanish and English words.  It's an easy way to teach a little one simple phrases and numbers in both languages.

The story itself is charming.  You help a Mama rabbit find her children, name the butterfly colors, pick some flowers and go the tea party.  It made me want to sit down and have a tea party of my own.  Maybe you could share some "tea" and cookies with your child after reading it.  Start a new tradition in your family.  I still remember having tea and crackers with my Mom.  They are very pleasant memories, why not make some of your own? 

No comments:

Bizard and the Big Bunny Bizness by Chrissie Krebs

When Bizard the Bear Wizard’s friends decide to try to help him grant wishes, it turns out that two magic wands are so much worse than one. ...