Monday, February 1, 2016

Serpents in Eden: A British Library Crime Classic edited by Martin Edwards

This anthology caught my eye because not only is about rural mysteries, it had some previously unpublished stories in it.  I'm always in the hunt for stories I haven't read yet.

Poisoned Pen Press and Net Galley allowed me to read this book for review (thank you).  It will be published March 1st.

I found a nice mix of authors I knew and ones I didn't in this collection.  Some were a bit slow and dry, some were really mind twisting, and some were a good romp in the country.  I enjoyed them all but I found the one with Mr. Fortune gratifying.  I enjoy that character.  There are a couple of others where brain power is the deciding factor in finding the killer.  That's another story type I enjoy.

You'll find con men, greedy relatives, angry husbands and more in these stories.  They all get what they deserve in these stories.  Some European mysteries don't end as neatly tied as these did and they bother me.  I don't like seeing the bad guys getting away.  Of course, I'm sure they paid in the end.  What goes around comes around from what I see in life.  My grandpa was more direct.  He said if you laid down with dogs, you'd get up with fleas.

This is a very pleasant group of short stories that are easy to pick up and set down.  I read them all in one sitting because I enjoy them.  I bet you will, too!

No comments:

Nonna Marie and the Case of the Lost Treasure by Lorenzo Carcaterra

As Nonna Maria's longtime friend and sometimes colleague, Captain Murino of the Ischian caribineri never wanted to see harm brought to t...