Saturday, July 26, 2014

Copycat and a Litter of Other Cats by David Yow

If you know me at all, you know I like cats.  My cat of preference is the Bengal but I love them all.  How could I skip reading this book?

Akashic Books allowed me to read this book for review (thank you).  It will be published August 12th, so grab a copy then.

The author/illustrator, David Yow, is the singer from the bank the Jesus Lizard.  Evidently being creative runs in his blood.  His cats are very similar except in colors and positions but his word play is what makes this book fun to read.

As you page through the illustrations and see how he's titled the pictures, it will make you smile.  My favorites were:  Bobcat (wearing a hello badge with Bob on it); Polecat (yes, marked like a skunk); Felix the Cat (and Sylvester and others); and, Cat Box (all cats love boxes).  They are a play on words with big eyed cats looking back at you.

If you're a fan of graphics, words, or cats, this book will talk to you.  I love all three, so I enjoyed paging through and snickering at what Mr. Yow has done.  Why don't you give it a try?  I don't think you'll find another one like this unique book.

No comments:

The Case of the Gilded Lies by Earl Staley Gardner

The ingredients were quite one middle-aged tycoon with a lovely young wife; one oh-so-apologetic visitor to the tycoon's office; one dev...