Monday, May 3, 2010

The Gettysburg Approach to Writing and Speaking Like a Professional by Philip A Yaffe

Mr. Yaffe is an author, former reporter/feature writer for the Wall Street Journal, and has more than 40 years experience in journalism and marketing communication. He shares some of his knowledge and techniques in this book. He also provided me this copy for review.

I worked for city government for 25 years and have seen many speaking and writing styles during that time. I wanted to see what Mr. Yaffe recommended.

The first two segments of the book are: Fundamentals of Good Writing and Oral Presentation: Giving Voice to Your Words.

He offers you good, precise, and concise advice on how to format your writing (what works and what doesn't) and how to make your oral presentations be heard and remembered.

The Appendices in the back are exercises for you to put his techniques to use and show how effective they are. There are enough examples that you should be able to become confortable with the technique.

This book is a good resource for those who are beginning to need these skills in life and for those that have been doing it a long time but aren't seeing the results they liked to get. His advice applies to all ages.

If you'd like my copy of this book, please leave a comment here on my blog and then email me at info @ bookfaerie.com (take the spaces out) with your name and address and why you'd like to read it. I'll pick a winner in about a week.

1 comment:

Ray & Carla Ives said...

I would love to have this book, being an Editor by trade. Also, I will be teaching next year, once again, and I could really use this. I teach History; however, I require my students to use correct grammar, spelling & style on their papers. I'm always up to learn new styles and techniques!

cARLA

Drag and Rex Forever Friends by Susan Lubner

Meet Drag and Rex, the sweet, silly best friends who find joy and adventure in the simplest places in this charming and cheery modern Frog a...