Wednesday, May 9, 2018

A Stone's Throw: An Ellie Stone Mystery by James W Ziskin

When a building burns on an old property, the sheriff barely checks it. He calls it arson and closes the case.  But a reporter finds two dead people in the barn...

Seven Street Books and Edelweiss allowed me to read this book for review (thank you).  It will be published June 5th.

Ellie Stone finds this isn't a new story.  Thoroughbred horse-racing can be deadly and can be rigged by those good at writing.  Somehow a jockey from Canada has been working in New York under another name.  He was declareded dead long ago and now they think he's the man who died in the farm.

If you like reading about horse racing, this book will fascinate you.  I learned a lot about how races are held, how private interests are put forward and just what people will do for money.  Women as well as men.

I didn't find any characters that I wanted to befriend but I fell in love with a horse.  I especially liked the way it turned out for the horse but I've always told you I love animals more than most people.

This isn't a neat well-composed mystery.  It's a rough, stony road with trips and falls and meanness all around.  Welcome to the races...

No comments:

Goliath and the Gang by David Whittet

Aaron was just five years old when they took his mother away … Raised by his aunt after losing his mother, he’s bullied by his uncle and to...