Saturday, April 7, 2018

Bowwow Powwow by Brenda J. Child, Jonathan Thunder, Gordon Jourdain

I grew up around the Chehalis Indians in Washington and I'm even related to the Yakima Indians.  My grandfather's brother married an Indian.  That's what made me want to read this story.

Minnesota Historical Press and Edelweiss let me read this book for review (thank you).  It will be published May 1st.

What makes it even more unique is that the story is accompanied by a companion retelling in Ojibwe by Gordon Jourdain.  I couldn't read it but it's there for those who can or would like to learn.  Jonathan Thunder's illustrations are gorgeous.  With the words and the illustrations you really feel like you're attending the powwow.

One of the fun traditions of this tribe is that they pretend they are dogs in one dance.  Windy Girl takes her dog, Itchy Boy, to the dance and they watch all the activity.  When she falls asleep, she dreams they are all dogs.  I had an active imagination as a child, too.

Here's a piece of history presented in an unusual form and I like it a lot.  Why not share some Indian tales with your child?

No comments:

Lioness of Punuab by Anita Jari Kharbanda

“We will fight here,” I commanded the warriors. “We are strong. We will have no fear. As Sikh warriors, we are ready to fight for justice. V...