Saturday, August 31, 2013

The Barber's Conundrum and Other Stories by John Harnett

This is a collection of short stories about life.  The subtitle is Observations on life from the cheap seats.  I don't know about you, but that was where we always ended up sitting.

Literary Promotions and the author shared a copy of this book with me for review (thank you).  It has been published and you can get a copy now.  It is available as an ebook as well as an inscribed paperback available directly from his website at The Monkey Bellhop.com as well as via Amazon.com and Barnes & Noble.com

The stories are short, almost like essays.  They cover life in general and many of them are written tongue-in-cheek.  I read a story here and a story there.  These are to be savored in a few quiet moments to help rejuvenate your spirit, not read up and spit out.

My favorite story was the last in the book:  Father's Day.  It's about his father and how he never comes out and says I love you.  I grew up with a father like that.  Mr. Hartnett points out the way his father expresses love without words.  That touched me.  Many men have trouble saying those words.  This story demonstrates the non-verbal signs of love.

This book has the feel of life in the past and tales you would hear during the Golden Days of Radio.  I enjoyed the read and plan to share the book with my mother.  Why not give it a try yourself and see if it talks to you?

Happy reading.

No comments:

The Reinvented Detective by Cat Rambo and Jennifer Brozek

The evolution of crime, punishment, and justice in the future. What happens when time and technology change the definition of crime and pun...