Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Not a Drop to Drink by Mindy McGinnis

Lynn doesn't remember the past.  She was too young when they left the settlement and moved out to their home in the country.  She only knows the present.  You must work hard to survive and above all, protect your water source or you will die.

Katherine Tegen Books and Net Galley allowed me to download this ebook for review (thank you).  The book will be published September 24th, so watch for it.

This is another dystopian tale about life after the "end".  The strong steal from the weak, no one is safe from predators four legged or two legged, and desperate people must do desperate things to survive.

This is meant to be a young adult's book, but this book horrified me.  It's just too realistic.  I can easily see just how all this could happen and it bothers me.  Make sure your child is mature enough to handle this.  Women trade sex for milk and food.  Lynn and her mother shoot intruders.  It's not uncommon for men to rape women.  The rule of the land is kill them before they kill you.

As I neared the end of the story, I feared what was going to happen during the final conflict.  I knew not everyone was going to survive and I'd become so close to the characters I didn't want of any of them to die.

This story is told in the voice of the young girl who is growing up cold hearted but changes after the death of her mother.  She finds there can be love in the world and even some hope.  She's a very strong character and she needs to be to survive.

It would be good if both parent and child read this book and then discussed the story.  It's one that is going to stick with you for a while.  It's still got me ruffled up.

Happy reading.

No comments:

Muffalettas and Murder by Jann Franklin

Evangeline Delafose swore she'd never return to her ho-hum Louisiana hometown. But when her brother asks her to help solve a murder, thi...