Thursday, September 20, 2012

The Spindlers by Lauren Oliver

One morning, when Liza wakes up, her brother isn't her brother anymore.  He's changed.  She's sure someone has stolen his soul, but no one believes her.  So it's up to her to hunt his soul down and get it back...

HarperCollins Children's Books sent me an ARC of this book for review (thank you).  It will be published October 2nd, so check with your local bookstore for a copy.

When I saw the publicity on this book, it tweaked my soul and made me ask for a copy to review.  I'm very glad I did.  I enjoyed the story so much I'm keeping this ARC for my personal library.

Liza is willing to do what she must to recover the "real" Patrick.  He was a pain, but he was her brother and the thing living in his place is not.  She trusts a rat (that turns out badly), she encounters any number of dangerous creatures and must pass tests to move on towards the Spindlers who have stolen him.  The monsters are ugly, the tests aren't easy, and she gets betrayed, so it's uncertain if she will accomplish her quest.

This story has a bit of the flavor of Labyrinth.  One was a stolen young brother; the other is to obtain recovery of Liza's brother's soul.  Dangers abound on all sides and she can't trust anybody.  Who would you trust in this unknown world?  And how would you escape?

I really enjoyed this and believe young adults (and fantasy readers) will, too.

Happy reading.

No comments:

The Case of the Gilded Lies by Earl Staley Gardner

The ingredients were quite one middle-aged tycoon with a lovely young wife; one oh-so-apologetic visitor to the tycoon's office; one dev...