Wednesday, September 19, 2012

The Clockwork Sky by Madeleine Rosca

Ms. Rosca has written this story as a prequel to the Hollow Fields series.  I have not read them but enjoy graphic novels, so I asked for this one.  Her artwork style is Manga, and it was fascinating to read.  Enter the future here...

Tor Books sent me a copy of this book for review (thank you).  It was published September 1st, so check with your local bookstore for a copy.

This book contains two types of media I like:  Manga artwork and a steampunk story.  I really enjoyed reading this.

Sally is a tomboy with adventuress ideas.  When she gets into too much trouble, her parents ship her to her uncle, and she gets confined to her room.  She has a nasty robot taking of her, her uncle never comes to visit her, and she's bored.  That's not much of a problem if you have lockpicks...

The top robot in this story is Sky, the ultimate creation of robotics.  The only problem is that he has dreams; robots don't dream, but he does.  When Sally escapes, they send Sky after her.  When they hook up, they end up in a deadly situation where they learn something they wish they never knew about.

There will be more in this series, and I'll be watching for them.  Sally reminds me of when I was a kid (no, I didn't have lockpicks).  I'm anxious to see what happens next, but I know it won't be good...

Here's a trailer that gives you an example of the artwork and a sample of the story: Artwork Sample.

Happy reading.

No comments:

The Affair at the Victory Ball by Agatha Christie

Young Lord Cronshaw is murdered at a masked ball, and his fiancée dies of a cocaine overdose later the same evening. Who was wearing which c...