Friday, November 25, 2011

Ghost Buddy #1: Zero to Hero by Henry Winkler and Lin Oliver

I didn't know Henry Winkler wrote books.  He and Lin Oliver have seventeen Hank Zipzer novels and I missed them all.  (I bet I can correct that.)

Scholastic sent me an ARC of this book for review (thank you).  The book will be published in January, so check with your local bookstore then to get a copy.

This is a great story.  It has a neat twist to the ghost story, as well as an unusual solution to a bully problem.  The authors also throw in some real unusual collectibles that the two main boys have in their possession.

Billy Broccoli has moved to a new home with his parents and is assigned a room that is done in girl's colors.  He's offended and astounded that they would make him take that as his room, but he was late coming in the house and the other rooms are already claimed.  Then he finds out he has a ghost in his room...

Soon his family thinks he's nuts because he's talking to himself all the time (they can't see the ghost).  Billy doesn't mind the Hoove, who has been stuck in this house for 99 years now.  He's not passing his ghost grades to move on, you see.

How Billy and the Hoove try to work together to solve Billy's problems is amusing.  I'll be watching for future Ghost Buddy novels; they're fun to read!

Listen to Henry Winkler talk about how hard it was to narrate the audio book:   Ghost Buddy

If you would like to win my copy of the ARC, leave a comment here on the blog and email me at info at bookfaerie.com with your name AND address and tell me why you'd like to get it.  I'll pick a winner in about a week.

Happy reading.

1 comment:

Denise Z said...

This sounds like a cute fun read. Thank you for sharing about it. I know a young person who just might like this really well (of course after I gently read it first LOL)
dz59001[at]gmail[dot]com

Drag and Rex Forever Friends by Susan Lubner

Meet Drag and Rex, the sweet, silly best friends who find joy and adventure in the simplest places in this charming and cheery modern Frog a...