Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Agatha Christie Murder in the Making by John Curran

I've been reading Agatha Christie mysteries for years.  I even re-read them with pleasure.  She writes a good solid mystery and Miss Marple is my favorite armchair detective.  So when I saw a new book coming out about her including an "unseen" Miss Marple story in it, I had to review it!

HarperCollins sent me an ARC of this book for review (thank you).  It will be published in December, so add it to your TBR list for then.

Subtitle of this book is:  More Stories and Secrets from Her Notebooks.  I never thought about her having a notebook, but authors do need to keep track of their ideas.  She could write a few words and embellish the scene later in a book.  She looked at people on a train and made up stories about why they were there.  She jotted ideas down, then re-read them later and edited them.

I found it fascinating to see her own notes and how she applied them to her final written product.  She was very methodical but more than willing to scrap an idea she didn't think was worthy of a story.  This is an interesting insight into the writer and lady who was Agatha Christie.

Anyone who is fond of her stories or wants to know what made her tick will find this look at her life delightful.  

Happy reading.

1 comment:

SusanB said...

I love Agatha Christie books. Can't wait to get this one. Will have to go on my Christmas list. Thanks for the review, probably wouldn't have known about it otherwise.

Drag and Rex Forever Friends by Susan Lubner

Meet Drag and Rex, the sweet, silly best friends who find joy and adventure in the simplest places in this charming and cheery modern Frog a...