Saturday, October 29, 2011

A Clockwork Fairytale by Helen Scott Taylor

She's a thief and he's a spy, but they are both more than that.  When Turk takes Mel under his wing, he doesn't know she's female.  She doesn't intend to enlighten him either...

The author shared a copy of this book with me for review (thank you).  I'm so very glad I read it; I love this book!  You can buy an ebook of it on Amazon or Smashwords.  It's available now.

This is a touch of "Pygmalion" in this book.  

Melba has been raised as a boy, taught to thieve with the best of them, and doesn't want to admit she's a girl.  When Turk demands Mel bathe and get into some clean clothes, she fights hard to bathe alone.  When she and the housekeeper get into a fight, Turk comes in to break it up and finds she's a female.  More importantly, he finds she has six toes on each foot.  That means she's the missing princess...

When he visits the head monk and shares this info with him, he's instructed to "train" the girl as a princess would act and then turn her over to her father.  Not an easy task...

Ms. Taylor makes her characters brave, charming, and interesting.  I loved the terms Mel used when she first came in off the street.  As they work together to improve her skills, she gradually falls in love with Turk, and he with her.

He's a monk, she's a Princess, and royalty doesn't marry commoners.  But I found myself hoping it would work out.

The story is fast-paced and a very good read.  I'm sure there will be a sequel because this story isn't done yet.  I'll be waiting for it to come out.

This is one of the best fairy tales I've read this year.  Why not grab yourself a copy and see what you think?

Happy reading.

1 comment:

Pepper Phillips said...

Love your cover! The book sounds interesting.

Drag and Rex Forever Friends by Susan Lubner

Meet Drag and Rex, the sweet, silly best friends who find joy and adventure in the simplest places in this charming and cheery modern Frog a...