Sunday, August 21, 2011

Breaking Silence by Linda Castillo

Everyone in the barn is dead, apparently from methane gas asphyxiation.  But how did they end up in the cesspool?

Crime Headquarters sent me this book which was published in June by Minotaur Books.  (I won a contest, thank you.)  This is a haunting Amish mystery and a very good read.

The Amish are a very close knit group and do not talk to Englishers.  Not even to investigators.  So trying to find out about any conflict, enemies, or if anyone saw anything comes to a dead end real soon.

There are hate crimes going on, but no one will tell anyone who it was.  And then they find out that the father who died had a head bruise he would not have gotten from falling in the cess pool.  Now they were looking for a murderer.  Could the hate crimes be related?

The investigator is very good, but he has to rely on Kate Burkholder's knowledge of Amish life to try to solve this mystery.  This is a very dark crime for a group of plain folk who work very hard at maintaining  a peaceful existence.  

The author grabs your attention right at the beginning of this book and I had no idea where she was going with the story until the very end.  It kept me reading and the words have a nice flow to them.  I really enjoyed reading this Amish mystery.

Here's the book's trailer to entice you even more:  Breaking Silence

If you would like my copy of this ARC, please leave a comment here on my blog and then email me at info at bookfaerie.com with your name and ADDRESS to be entered into the drawing.  I'll pick a winner in about a week.

Happy reading.

3 comments:

SusanB said...

This is sounds like it's just down my ally. Thanks for the review and giveaway!

Denise Z said...

Thank you for sharing about what sounds like a very good read, as well as for the giveaway opportunity.

Ελλάδα said...

I just happened upon this book and it was great!! I'm now going back to read her 1st two books,Considering that I live within 10 miles of the setting of all three books in the series, I found the books great. Must read!!

Drag and Rex Forever Friends by Susan Lubner

Meet Drag and Rex, the sweet, silly best friends who find joy and adventure in the simplest places in this charming and cheery modern Frog a...