Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Stockholm Noir (Sweden) Edited by: Nathan Larson and Carl-Michael Edenborg

This is another in the Noir series created by Akashic Books.  This one shows you the dark corners of Sweden.  My mind pictures white blondes in ski clothes.  That's not who you read about in these stories...

Akashic sent me an ARC of this book for review (thank you).  It has been published now.

There are thirteen stories, all quite different and all interesting.  Some of the characters you meet are evil, some are warped, one's a vampire, and all are people I don't want to meet.

The scariest story was Nineteen Pieces by Carl-Micheal Edenborg.  He knew how to write a story that creeps under your skin.  I wasn't sure where he was going with it but I got there right before the dramatic ending.  It's stuck in my mind and will remain there for a while.

This isn't a pleasant travel guide to Sweden.  This is what happens in alleys and back streets and on the poor side of town.  It's more horror than mystery but it's intriguing and kept me reading.  Let me know what you think about it.

No comments:

Nonna Marie and the Case of the Lost Treasure by Lorenzo Carcaterra

As Nonna Maria's longtime friend and sometimes colleague, Captain Murino of the Ischian caribineri never wanted to see harm brought to t...