Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Because I could Not Stop My Bike by Karen Jo Shapird


"Because I could not stop my bike
it kindly stopped for me.
Unluckily, it did not stop
until it hit a tree."

Charlesbridge has provided me a copy of this marvelous book of poetry for grade school children (thank you). Matt Faulkner is the illustrator, and he does a very job of creating colorful and fun pictures to go with these romping poems.

Ms. Shapird takes 26 classic poems and reworks them for children using the same rhythms and meters of the originals. It works very well, and children will love reading them.

How can you not like poems like: How Do I Love Ketchup? Let Me Count the Ways; or A Red, Rose Nose?

Introduce your child to poetry that is fun to read and teach them that poetry has a charm of its own.

This book is available now at your local bookstore.

No comments:

Drag and Rex Forever Friends by Susan Lubner

Meet Drag and Rex, the sweet, silly best friends who find joy and adventure in the simplest places in this charming and cheery modern Frog a...