Sunday, January 28, 2018

Prague Noir (Czech Republic) Edited by: Pavel Mandys

My grandparents immigrated from Czechoslovakia.  I don't find many books published from there in the states, so this book of short stories intrigued me.  I like short stories best and here's a good sampling of the writers of that area.

Akashic sent me an ARC of this book to read for review (thank you).  It will be published February 6th.

These authors take you from the past to the present.  The war, Jews, Golems, murder, magic and more are included in the stories.  Part of it sounds familiar, I've read several stories on some of the Jewish issues before, and it was almost like a visit with my long dead grandparents.  My family was Roman Catholic so I've learned about Jewish customs from reading.

The stories are strong and have heart.  They don't mince words or try to make themselves look better.  This is the Czech Republic as it is.

This is what is included:  Brand-new stories by: Martin Goffa, Štěpán Kopřiva, Miloš Urban, Jiří W. Procházka, Chaim Cigan, Ondřej Neff, Petr Stančík, Kateřina Tučková, Markéta Pilátová, Michal Sýkora, Michaela Klevisová, Petra Soukupová, Irena Hejdová, and Petr Šabach.

I enjoyed the read.  Give it a try, it might surprise you. 

No comments:

Drag and Rex Forever Friends by Susan Lubner

Meet Drag and Rex, the sweet, silly best friends who find joy and adventure in the simplest places in this charming and cheery modern Frog a...