Friday, January 26, 2018

Harvey's Hideout by Russell Hoban, Lillian Hoban

Harvey and Mildred are brother and sister.  They don't like each other.  I was the older sister with the younger brother (I wanted a little sister, no dumb boy) and I can certainly relate to how I felt at their age...

Plough Publishing House and Edelweiss gave me the opportunity to read this book for review (thank you).  It will be published February 4th.

I love the illustrations the Hoban books have.  They're old fashioned, quaint, and just right for the flavor of the story.

When the two argue all the time, their mother loses patience with them and asks their father to have a talk with them.  I like it.  He tells them what they said that was untrue and does admit the part that was true.  He rationalized with them instead of just telling them to stop.

They both pretend they have big plans when they are outside and they each go off in different directions.  The little brother isn't playing with friends like he said.  He doesn't have any.  But, by accident, he finds out what his sister is doing.  She doesn't have friends either.  They finally find something they can do together...

No comments:

The Reinvented Detective by Cat Rambo and Jennifer Brozek

The evolution of crime, punishment, and justice in the future. What happens when time and technology change the definition of crime and pun...