Thursday, December 18, 2014

Explorer: The Hidden Doors (Explorer #3) by Kazu Kibuishi

This is a collection of work by various artists with a single theme:  What do you find when you open the hidden door?

Amulet Books sent me a copy of this book for review (thank you).  It has been published so grab a copy now.  This is the third in the series, so check the other two out.  This one is a very well done graphic novel and I'm sure the others are also.

I like to see what creative people with the same theme.  I did a creative writing class and this book is very like what my teacher would have had us do.  I have no artist talents so mine was just text.  This is the best of both worlds:  a story with wonderful illustrations!

I found trolls, a giant, ice cliffs, an Egyptian mummy and more.  The stories focus on personal attributes all of us should aspire for such as friendship, self-confidence, survival and even dealing with bullies. The stories were almost too short but you understand the point the author is trying to make and it will keep even reluctant readers turning the pages.

I was impressed by this book.  It's pleasing to the eye, the stories are great, and it was a pleasure to read.  If anyone you know likes graphic novels, this is one to read!

No comments:

Bizard and the Big Bunny Bizness by Chrissie Krebs

When Bizard the Bear Wizard’s friends decide to try to help him grant wishes, it turns out that two magic wands are so much worse than one. ...