Monday, January 31, 2011

Kat, Incorrigible by Stephanie Burgis

Kat is an independent, hard-headed twelve-year-old who is going to stop her oldest sister from marrying an old man she doesn't love for the "good" of the family.  So he's got money, he's evil!


Antheneum, an imprint of Simon & Schuster, will be publishing this book in hardcover or as an eBook at the first of April.  They sent me an eGalley for review (thank you).  





Ms. Burgis does an excellent job of creating a character that I could easily love.  Kat is untraditional, works around any "no's" she gets, and is determined to protect her family.  So much so, she cut her short hair like a boy and tried to run away from home so she could get a job and save her oldest sister from marriage.  It didn't work; her middle sister caught her.  But that's not the end of her adventures and plans.


This delightful story has magic, evil, witches, a highway man, and misplaced love spread through it.  Kat has a power she didn't know she had - and she's not sure she wants to be a "Guardian" even if that is her calling.


The story is fast paced and has humor throughout.  This is the first in a series and I can tell you I will be watching for it when it comes out in April and for the future books in the series.  I just love this character!  She reminds me of me when I was little, but I didn't have any special powers, drat.

No comments:

Lioness of Punuab by Anita Jari Kharbanda

“We will fight here,” I commanded the warriors. “We are strong. We will have no fear. As Sikh warriors, we are ready to fight for justice. V...