Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Muirwood: The Lost Abbey #1 by Jeff Wheeler, Matt Sturges, Dave Justus, Alex Sheikman

Maia is back again in this new telling of her tale.  This one is done in graphic form and it's lovely.  It eliminates the excessive words, simplifies the story and tells the story graphically.  I was thinking it would make a great movie while I was reading the book and this graphic series will give you an idea of how that would work.  I like it a lot.

Jet City Comics and Net Galley allowed me to read this book for review (thank you).  It will be published August 26th, and is the first of five comics in this series.  I want to read them all!

I've read the book so my view might be a little skewed because I know the story line, but I really appreciated the brevity and the graphic quality.  The only problem I had is that they are dishing this out in five installments.  I wanted it ALL now!

You see the barren room Maia is confined in at the castle.  You meet her father.  You also meet her "guard" who happens to be an assassin.  Life as Maia knew it has changed.  It's about to change again.   Her father orders her on a quest to find the lost abbey and get some information to help him win his war.  She doesn't want to, but she has no choice.  It's almost an impossible task but anything is better than being locked in the tower. Maia knows she has a power, but she doesn't know how much or what it will do to her.  She'll find out.

I really like graphic novels.  I admit that they don't give you as much information as a story would, but the pictures tell you a lot and express emotions much better than text does.  And there will be more...

No comments:

Bizard and the Big Bunny Bizness by Chrissie Krebs

When Bizard the Bear Wizard’s friends decide to try to help him grant wishes, it turns out that two magic wands are so much worse than one. ...