Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Seacrow Island by Astrid Lindgren

Have you ever stayed on an island?  It's another world compared to city life.  I enjoyed my stay but I didn't stay all summer.

NYR Children's Collections and Edelweiss gave me the opportunity to read this book (thank you).  It will be published May 26th, you can grab a copy then.

This story was written in the 1960's, but it has the flavor of island life now.  Most times there is no wifi, not many phones, and hardly any roads.  Life is simpler, you have fewer choices, and there's plenty to do if you're young!

Seacrow Island is very small.  When Dad brings his family over for the summer, he's imagining a modern cottage.  What he finds is a well worn home that has a few leaks, broken windows and the like.  It's a good thing he has nice, resourceful neighbors because he'll need them.

Dad tries to focus on his writing.  His children play with the other island children and get themselves into trouble more than once.  The oldest girl enjoys flirting, but she's not looking for love.  Or is she?

I found this to be a sweet tale of a vacation with a few challenges in it.  (When doesn't a vacation have that?)  It did make me cry when an animal died, but that's life, too.  My favorite part is the ending.  Knowing there will be more Seacrow Island adventures made me happy.

No comments:

The Case of the Gilded Lies by Earl Staley Gardner

The ingredients were quite one middle-aged tycoon with a lovely young wife; one oh-so-apologetic visitor to the tycoon's office; one dev...