Thursday, November 20, 2014

The Tree of Water (The Lost Journals of Ven Polypheme #4) by Elizabeth Haydon

When I was in grade school, I read Jules Verne's "Twenty Thousand Leagues Beneath the Sea".  It was wondrous and odd and scared me in some ways.  This story reminds me of that tale...

PR by the Book and Tor Teen sent me a copy of this book to review (thank you).  It was published at the end of October, so you can grab a copy now.  This is the fourth in the series but the only I've read so far.  It stands alone just fine.

I'm fond of grand adventure stories and that's what you have here.  Ven has promised Amariel he'll visit her world and his friend Char feels obligated to go along.  He's not excited about it but he's supposed to watching Ven, so what choice does he have?  Amariel tells them to go visit an old fisherman and he will give them gills to go underwater.  Personally, I thought that sounded pretty disgusting.  Thankfully two magical devices are given to Ven so they breath underwater without gills.  That sounded like a much better solution to me!

I really like Ven.  He's a true friend, he wants to help everyone and he'll suffer what he must to meet his goals and complete his quest.  He feels like a hero and we always need more of those in our life.

Their adventures under the sea are dangerous.  Everybody there is looking for food. They meet big and little sea creatures, almost get eaten by sharks, meet other undersea people, visit sea dragons, and try to find the Tree of Water to save life on earth.  The animals are quirky, the undersea people are worse and the danger is untold. These adventurers' almost lose their lives trying to save Amariel.  If that's not enough action for you, there's even a seahorse race.  What more could you want?

Anybody with a good imagination will love this series.  Give it a read and let me know what you think.

No comments:

Lioness of Punuab by Anita Jari Kharbanda

“We will fight here,” I commanded the warriors. “We are strong. We will have no fear. As Sikh warriors, we are ready to fight for justice. V...